PhD thesis: Metals in Magma: Petrological, Geochemical, and Tectonic Controls on Arc Magma Chemistry and Ore Deposit Development
Supervisors: Prof. Marie Edmonds, Dr. Helen Williams (Cambridge), Dr. Frances Jenner (Open University).
2013-2018 – B.S. in Geoscience, Drexel University, US
Senior Thesis: Physical and Spatial Constraints on the Volume of Deccan Traps
Supervisors: Prof. Loÿc Vanderkluysen, Prof. Anne Jay (The Open University)
Top of my Geoscience class. Graduated with Distinction. Minor in Chemistry
Barber, N.D., Edmonds, M., Jenner, F., Audétat, A., Williams, H., 2021. Amphibole control on copper systematics in arcs: Insights from the analysis of global datasets. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 307, 192–211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2021.05.034
Submitted (pre-prints and GitHub repository will be linked here when available):
- Virtanen, V.J., Heinonen, J.S., Barber, N.D., Molnár, F. Complex Effects of Assimilation to Sulfide Saturation Revealed by Modeling with the 1 Magma Chamber Simulator: a Case Study on the Duluth Complex, Minnesota, USA. Submitted to Economic Geology on 27/8/21
- Handini E., Hasenaka T., Shibata T., Barber N.D., Mori Y., Harijoko A. Lateral variation of slab-derived fluid in a cold subduction zone: the case of Central Java, Sunda Arc. Submitted to Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems on 6/9/21.
- Barber, N.D., Jay, A., Vanderkluysen, L., and Carey, E. How Big is a Flood Basalt? Applying Geographic Information Systems to Estimate Modern and Original Deccan Lava. In Preparation.
- Barber, N.D., Baldwin, S.B., Edmonds, M., Harijoko, A., Wibowo, H.E. Monogenetic Volcanoes as Windows Into Transcrustal Mush: A Case Study st Slamet Volcano, Indonesia. In Preparation.
Honors and Awards
2022 – Outstanding Student Presentation Award (American Geophysical Union). “OSPAs are awarded to promote, recognize, and reward undergraduate, Master’s, and PhD students for quality research in Earth and space science and the ability to effectively communicate it.” $100
2019 – Pressland Bursary for Intensive Language Fieldwork (Cambridge University Language Centre). Funded 3 weeks of 20+ hours a week language courses at the Universities Gadjaha Mada, Indonesia. Certified Intermediate in Bahasa Indonesian. £1000
2019 – Daniel Pidgeon Fieldwork Research Bursary (Geological Society of London). Funded field sampling campaign in Java, Indonesia (delayed due to COVID). £1000
2019 – Shell-Churchill Research Prize (Churchill College, Cambridge). Awarded to the best STEM research proposal among first year research students (Masters and PhD). £3000
2018 – Gates Cambridge Scholarship (Gate Cambridge Trust). Full cost scholarship to outstanding international applicants to pursue postgraduate studies at Cambridge. Value: full cost studentship with conference + professional development funds.
- Drexel University Feature on the award: https://drexel.edu/now/archive/2018/May/Drexel-Student-Finds-Perfect-Fit-for-Volcano-Research-Through-Gates-Cambridge-Scholarship/
2018 – Fulbright Study/Research Grant to Indonesia (Fulbright Foundation/US State Department). Full 12 month funding supporting collaborative research with Universitas Gadjah Mada in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. Declined due to conflicts with postgraduate plans.
2018 – Graduate Research Fellowship: Honorable Mention (National Science Foundation). “The NSF accords Honorable Mention to meritorious applicants who do not receive Fellowship awards. This is considered a significant national academic achievement”
2016 – Ernest F. Hollings Scholarship (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). Recognizes academic achievement in the oceanic, earth, and atmospheric sciences. $9500 in academic support per annum for two years; 10 week internship at NOAA facility at $700/week.
- Project: A Volcano on the Move: Tiltmeter Data from the OOI Cabled Observatory At Axial Seamount. Supervisor: Dr. Bill Chadwick.
- Awarded Best Student Presentation in Science and Enterprise Technology Category
2016 – Barry Goldwater Scholarship (The Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation). “The Goldwater Scholarship Program, one of the oldest and most prestigious national scholarships in the natural sciences.” Value: $7500 per annum for two years.
Associate Fellowship of the UK Higher Education Academy. Awarded through Cambridge’s competitive Teaching Associate’s Program. September 2021
- Barber, N.D., Baldwin, S.B., Edmonds, M., Harijoko, A., Wibowo, H.E. Monogenetic Scoria Cones as Windows into Transrustal Mush. Goldschmidt 2021 (Virtual). July 7th, 2021.
- Barber, N.D., Baldwin, S.B., Edmonds, M., Harijoko, A., Wibowo, H.E. Magma Storage at SLamet Volcano, Indonesia. COMET Student Meeting. January 15th 2021.
- Barber, N.D., Edmonds, M., Handini, E., Jenner, F., Harijoko, A., Wibowo, H.E. Intraplate vs. Subduction Signals in the Sunda Back-Arc: Petrology and Geochemistry of Pulau Bawean, Java, Indonesia. vVMSG, January 2021.
- Barber, N.D., Edmonds, M.E., Jenner, F., Williams, H.W., and Audetat, A. A Big Data Perspective on the Behaviour of Copper in Arc Magmas. Goldschmidt Annual Meeting (Virtual). June, 2020. https://doi.org/10.46427/gold2020.130
- Barber, N.D., Edmonds, M.E., and Jenner, F. (2020). Systematics of Chalcophile Metals in Volcanic Arcs : A Global Perspective. Volcano Magmatic Studies Group (VMSG) Meeting, Plymouth U.K. January, 2020.
- Vanderkluysen, L., Carey, E., Barber, N.D., Jay, A., Self, S., Mittal, T., and Renne, P.R. Validity of the Deccan Chemostratigraphy and Extent of Deccan Formations Beyond the Western Ghats (India). American Geophysical Union (AGU). San Francisco. December, 2019.
- Barber, N.D., Jay, A., Vanderkluysen, L., and Carey, E. Large Igneous Provinces and Environmental Change: Applying Geographic Information Systems to Estimate Total Deccan Lava Volumes . Janet Watson: Deep Carbon Meeting. Geological Society of London. February, 2019.
- Vanderkluysen, L., Barber, N.D., Jay, A., and Carey, E. Pre-and Post-Erosional Estimates of Deccan Lava Volumes. American Geophysical Union (AGU). Washington D.C. December, 2018.
- Vanderkluysen, L., Barber, N.D., Wolosyznek, S. O’Connor, M., Mittal, T., Sealing, C.R., Sprain, C.J., and P.R. Renne. Statistical Analysis of Deccan Basalt Geochemistry: An Updated Look at Deccan Chemostratigraphy. American Geophysical Union (AGU). New Orleans. December, 2017.
- Barber, N.D., Edmonds, M.E., Jenner, F., Williams, H.W., and Audetat, A. Global Systematics of Copper in Arc Magmas. EGU Geochemistry, Mineralogy, Petrology, & Volcanogy (GMPC) Earth Career Scientist (ECS) Online Talk Series. August 4th, 2020
- Barber, N.D., Edmonds, M.E., Jenner, F., Williams, H.W., and Audetat, A. Big Data Insights on the Behavior of Copper in Arc Magmas. Gates Weekend of Research Conference. May 24th, 2020.
- Barber, N.D., Edmonds, M.E., Harijoko, A., Wibowo, H.E., Williams, H.W., Marliyani, G., Jenner, F., and Handini, E. Volcanoes: Earth’s Copper Factories. Churchill College Postgraduate Seminar (CHUTalk). Cambridge, U.K. February, 2020
- Barber, N.D. How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Volcanoes. Gates-Cambridge Trust “Scholar’s Stories.” Cambridge, U.K. November, 2018.
- Barber, N.D., Baldwin, S.B., Edmonds, M., Harijoko, A., Wibowo, H.E. Monogenetic Scoria Cones as Windows into Transcrustal Mush. COMET Annual General Meeting (Virtual). June 28th, 2021.
- Barber, N.D., Edmonds, M., Jenner, F., Audétat, A., Williams, H. Global Systematics of Copper in Arc Magmas Using a Big Data Approach. AGU Fall Meeting 2020 (Virtual). December 9th, 2020.
- Handini, E., Hasenaka, T., Sano, T., Shibata, T., Barber, N.D., Setiawan, N.I. Heterogeneity of subjecting Indian ocean plate and its implication to Sundar-arc magmas geochemical systematics. AGU Fall Meeting 2020 (Virtual). December 9th, 2020.
- Baldwin, S.L., Barber, N.D., Edmonds, M., Harijoko, A., and Wibowo, H.E. Magma Mixing and Monogenetic Volcanism at Slamet Volcano and Mount Loyang, Indonesia. Volcano Magmatic Studies Group (VMSG) Meeting, Plymouth U.K. January, 2020.
- Barber, N.D., Edmonds, M., Williams, H.W., Marliyani, G., and Jenner, F. Metals In Magmas: Across Arc Variations in Volcanic Metals. Goldschmidt Annual Meeting. Barcelona, Spain. August, 2019.
- Barber, N.D., Jay, A., Vanderkluysen, L., and Carey, E. Applying Geographic Information Systems to Estimate Pre- and Post-Erosional Deccan Lava Volumes. Volcano Magmatic Studies Group (VMSG) Meeting, St.Andrews, U.K. January, 2019.
Part III (MSci) Student Co-Supervisor: Sept. 2019 to June 2020.
- Sophie L. Baldwin. Thesis title: Magma Mixing at Mt. Slamet and Loyang Volcanoes. Co-Supervisor: Prof. Marie Edmonds.
- Jointly supervised the research project undertaken by Masters student Sophie Baldwin. Provided learning resources, weekly tutoring, and regular oversight. Assisted in sample preparation, data interpretation, poster creation, thesis writing, and petrological modeling.
- Sophie is now a PhD student at the University of Edinburgh
Supervisor. Jesus College, University of Cambridge. Sept 2019 to June 2021.
- Led weekly small group supervisions with Jesus College undergraduates. Reviewed lecture material, set essays and worksheets, designed learning exercises, provided feedback, and marked weekly essays + termly mock exams.
- Course supervised: Earth Science 1A (1st year Earth Science)
- Supervised 6+ students over 2 years.
- Click here for more on Cambridge supervision system
- GIS lectures for 3rd year Earth Science Students, University of Cambridge. Four 2 hour lectures over two weeks. See my workshop web page for more information. November 2020.
- Guest Lecturer ENVS 308, GIS and Environmental Modelling. Presented and designed an activity for both class sections involving georeferencing, 3D data. January 2017.
Practical Demonstrator (Laboratory TA):
- First year Natural Sciences subject (1A) at University of Cambridge. Course covers: tectonics, igneous and metamorphic petrology, geophysics, mineralogy, climate, planetary science, hazards, sedimentology, paleobiology. I have been a demonstrator for four consecutive years since Oct. 2018.
- Second year Earth Science module (ESB) at University of Cambridge. Covers mineralogy, igneous and metamorphic petrology. I have been a demonstrator of this course for three years consecutively, since Sept. 2019.
- Third year Earth Science modules (Part II) at University of Cambridge. (1) Isotope Geochemistry + (2) Igneous Petrology Modules. Winter of 2019.
- Fourth year Earth Science (Masters) modules (Part III) at University of Cambridge. (1) Magma Dynamics and (2) Natural Hazards modules. Winter/Spring 2019.
Field Work Demonstrator (Field TA):
- Cornwall and Devon, England (5 Days): 2nd/3rd year Earth Science field trips @ UCam. Anticipated dates on Sept. 25-30.
- Isle of Arran, Scotland (10 Days): 1st year Earth Science field trip @ UCam. Field demonstrator in March of 2019 and July of 2021.
- Yellowstone/Big Horn, USA Basin Field Trip (7 days) @ Drexel University. GeoDESLA High School program.
Service and Membership
Assistant and Student Representative – Sample Preparation Laboratory. Department of Earth Science, University of Cambridge. Sep. 2019 – Present
Acting Chair – Equality, Diversity, and Inclusivity (EDI) Working Group. Feb. 2021 – Present.
Co-Chair: Cambridge Volcanology Seminars. Sept. 2020 – Present.
Organizing Committee Member: Volcanology Reading Rendezvous Journal Club. Jan 2021 – Present.
Postgraduate Student Affairs Representative: Postgraduate Affairs Committee – Department of Earth Science, Cambridge. Sept. 2019 – Present
Postgraduate Representative: Departmental EDI Committee. Department of Earth Science, University of Cambridge. Sept. 2020 – Present
Treasurer – Middle Common Room (MCR) or Postgraduate Student Association. Churchill College. Feb. 2019- Feb. 2021.
STAR Alumni Reviewer. STAR is Drexel University’s premiere undergraduate research program, supporting 1st year undergrads financially and allowing them to participate in mentor-lead research in their field during the summer between their first and second year. I am an alumni of the STAR program and a proud application reviewer since the start of my PhD in 2018/2019.
President – Undergraduate Research Leaders. Office of Undergraduate Research (Now Undergraduate Research and Excellent Program), Drexel University. Jan. 2016 to April 2017.
President – Paleontology and Geology Club, Drexel University. May 2016 to May 2018.
Junior Fellow – Geological Society of London. January 2019 to present
Student Member – Mineralogical Society of America
Student Member – Mineralogical Society go Great Britain and Ireland.
Student Member – Cambridge Philosophical Society.
Engagement and Outreach
EDI Working Group Manifesto – Sedgwick Club, Department of Earth Science, University of Cambridge. October 14th, 2020.
Research in Lockdown – Fieldwork Disrupted. Blog post reflecting on the academic and personal costs of the pandemic. Department of Earth Science, University of Cambridge. 26th May 2020.
Pen Pal. Letters to a Pre-Scientist Program. Sept. 2018 – June 2020.